What it is: Colocation is the practise of hosting servers, storage, firewalls and other internet related hardware from multiple customers in a single Data Centre. While using colocation services at a datacenter are becoming more common every day, many businesses still choose to host their services in-house. Collocation offers you business continuity, scalability and performance a fraction of the cost that it would take to achieve anything close in your own micro Data Centre.
Reasons to use Colocation services:
· The biggest advantage of colocation is the cost for bandwidth.
· Colocation facilities have better outage protection.
· Colocation facilities are built to specific specifications and standards to meet the needs of today’s high-tech hardware.
· Datacenters are built with redundancy in mind. This means that most centers have N+ 1 redundancy built into the key infrastructure like power, cooling, bandwidth, and networking. At many standard office locations it may not even be possible to implement this type of redundancy, and when it is the costs can be extremely high.
- Faster, more reliable and cheaper bandwidth
- Real time monitoring 24/7 by engineers
- Mitigation of DDoS attacks and other network issues
- Better efficiency in cooling and power – better for the environment
- Diverse power, backup UPS systems and diesel generators
- More secure (CCTV, man traps security doors, access ID’s)
- Advanced fire detection and control that doesn’t damage servers if it’s triggered
- Operational (OPEX) cost rather than all up front (CAPEX)
- No need to turn servers off an move them if your business moves